Applications for VOLT 2022 are now open!
Thursday 24th March 2022, 7.30pm
Circomedia, St Pauls Church, Bristol BS2 8SJ
Applications close: Tuesday 30th November 2021
Selections will be made in December.
Circomedia is now accepting applications for VOLT, Bristol’s circus scratch night!
VOLT started in 2013 as a collaboration between Ausform and Circomedia. After a two year gap, VOLT was relaunched with the support of Circus City in October 2019. We continue to support a range of emerging circus artists; our two most recent VOLT scratch nights have been sell-out successes with record numbers of applications, and we are now delighted to open applications for the next event in spring 2022.
We’re looking for applications from artists who want to try their work out at a professional circus venue for a warm and supportive audience. This is a development opportunity – test ideas, gauge reactions and take home constructive and useful audience insights. The emphasis is on potential, not polish – your work can be at any stage of development as long as you have something tangible to share onstage with an audience (we’re looking for ideas that you’re ready to put into practice in some way rather than completely new ideas that aren’t yet at a shareable stage, but it can still be in the early stages of development!).
What we’re looking for:
- Short pieces (5 – 15 minutes) that you’d like to share with an audience in order to test ideas and gather constructive feedback.
- Works in progress rather than polished, finished pieces – this is a development opportunity, not a showcase.
- Any contemporary circus format
- Artists at any stage in their performing journey – perhaps you’re just starting out in your performance career, or perhaps you’re an established artist developing something new, or somewhere in between.
We can accept applications from anyone aged 16+.
- Artists based in South West England or South Wales.
- VOLT is a professional opportunity – current and former Circomedia students are welcome to apply, but we equally want to hear from artists who have not visited or performed at Circomedia before.
- Current/former Circomedia students: when applying, please note that we cannot consider material originally devised as a student performance piece (e.g. FMPs, spring projects) unless the idea has been developed or altered. VOLT aims to overcome the difficulties of finding space to share and discuss work, so we cannot offer students the opportunity to showcase the same work again without clear evidence of development and evolution.
- We are not currently accepting applications for compères or hosts.
- Performers cannot take part in two consecutive VOLT scratch nights, even as part of a different act.
- If you’re unsure about your eligibility or would like more application guidance, email firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal discussion before applying.
What you’ll get out of VOLT:
- The chance to perform in Circomedia St Paul’s Church, Portland Square – Bristol’s leading contemporary circus venue and professional performance venue.
- The opportunity to share your work with Bristol’s circus and arts community, including other emerging artists and industry professionals, and to connect with individuals and organisations as a result.
- The opportunity to discuss your work live and to receive detailed written and verbal feedback on the night.
- Exposure and recognition within Circomedia’s wide-reaching marketing networks and Bristol’s circus community.
- Professional photo and video documentation of your performance.
- A nominal artist fee to assist with expenses.
Please note that VOLT is open to artists who are based in South West England or South Wales only. We cannot currently accept applications from artists outside of these areas.
To apply for VOLT, complete our online application form via the button below no later than 30 November 2021 (applications close at midnight).
Selections will take place in December and we’ll be in touch with all applicants as soon as possible.
If you’ve got any questions, email email@example.com for more information!
“VOLT was a great experience for me… it gave me the opportunity to share my work in a supportive environment and get the means to be able to market it in the future.”
Phoebe Baker, VOLT 2019 Participant
“It felt great to have a space to share my new and experimental work in such a professional and supportive way…people were receptive and kind and it felt both like a performance and a close community discussion at the same time.“
Jennifer Hebden, VOLT 2021 Participant