Answering Your Questions

We’re here to support you through every stage of your application. Take a look at our FAQs and if you have any further questions, please drop us a line at

Where will I live?

There are a limited number of student bungalows provided by the Creative Youth Network at the Kingswood Estate.

There are a limited number of student bungalows provided by the Creative Youth Network at the Kingswood Estate. We prioritise younger BTEC and international students. Like students all over the UK, most people studying with us live in privately-rented accommodation in Bristol and the surrounding area. A lot of our students house-share together, providing one another with a great practical and emotional support network.

How will I finance my studies?

There are different funding options available, depending on your course, your age, and your existing qualifications.

BTEC: For BTEC students, there are different levels of finance available. If you are aged 16-18 on 1st September of your year of study, the government will pay your fees regardless of prior qualifications.

If you are aged 19-23 on 1st September of your year of study and do not already have a full Level 3 qualification, the government will pay your fees.

If you are aged 24 or over, you will need to pay your own course fees.

There is a legal requirement that students who do not have an English and maths GCSE at grade C or above (or regional equivalent, e.g. Scottish Intermediate 2 Certificate grade A-C) must study either GCSE re-sit classes or Functional Skills alongside the main programme in order to have a funded place. If you are unsure whether your qualifications will exclude you from having to take English and maths please contact

Unfortunately, there is no loan system in place to finance living costs for students on the BTEC course. If you are aged between 16 and 18, don’t have a full Level 3 already and live two hours away from Bristol you can apply for the Residential Support Scheme. This is a government grant that will contribute towards the cost of your rent. Applications are made through our partners Weston College upon enrolment.

FDA and BA: As with any degree course, students studying our FDA are eligible for a student loan that will cover their living costs and course fees.

MA: The MA course fees are £6600 and student loans of up to £10,000 are available.

Professional Diplomas Level 4 and 5: You can apply for a Career Development Loan from your bank.

What should I write in my personal statement?

Whether you’re applying for the FDA, MA or BTEC, your personal statement should tell us about why you want to study with Circomedia.

We want to get a sense of why you feel passionate about joining us to develop your skills and abilities in circus and physical theatre. We also want to get to know you – so tell us about your relevant experience and what makes you tick.

How much written work is required?

The BTEC, FDA and MA all require written work. For the FDA, written work accounts for 30% of the course with essays on the historical and cultural context of circus and theatre, and a written Professional Development Plan. On the BTEC, you will be required to complete some written work in either a log book, blog, essay, or research project.

Can I have a part time job while studying?

There is no rule preventing you from working part-time while studying. However we advise you that the courses are very intensive and demanding, and trying to juggle work and study can be exhausting. Many of our students take paid performance opportunities during the holidays to help manage their finances and these opportunities are promoted on our notices blog.

Share this page